Mold and mildew are both similar in that they are known as moisture type molds, meaning that they thrive and proliferate in moist environments. They like to grow on organic materials like wool, leather, wood, cotton and paper but can be seen in walls, floors and ceilings.
Mildew and mold in the basement are common but it is not safe to continue with this condition just a few feet away from where you sleep and eat. When they are left to grow, the molds and mildew will eventually develop a natural defense which is known as myotoxins. These are very toxic and can cause illnesses to the upper respiratory system which may be difficult to diagnose if nobody knows that it is caused by them. If you see any sign of them in the basement, immediately do mold mildew removal procedures.
Mold and Mildew Removal Tips
- If you are undertaking this yourself, you need to put on protective gear like goggles, face mask, disposable clothing and long rubber gloves to protect yourself from coming in contact with the molds or the chemicals that you will be using to clean them.
- Identify the source of moisture in the basement. Look for leaking pipes, laundry piles, water heaters or carpets which are ideal places to grow. Fix them immediately to prevent future growth.
- Open up the windows to let the sunshine and fresh air in as it will immediately get rid of mold and mildew.
- Immediately remove and dispose of affected materials in sealed plastic bags to prevent the molds and mildew from spreading.
- Spray on undiluted white vinegar to severely affected areas or a mixture of 1 part water and 1 part vinegar to prevent the molds and mildew from becoming airborne.
- Scrub off the mold and mildew stains with a stiff and sturdy brush using specialized mold and mildew killer chemicals or a mixture of baking soda and white vinegar, a homemade cleaning solution which is just as effective in killing them.
- If you are using the natural cleaning solution, disinfect the area with a bleach solution using 1/4 cup of bleach diluted in a gallon of water. If you are using a chemical solution, there is no need to follow-up with a disinfectant because it already has a disinfectant included.
- Remove water from the area well using a blow fan, heater and/or control future humidity levels with a dehumidifier.