How Do I Safely Get Rid of Black Mold?
Black mold from water damage is a toxic substance so every effort should be taken to ensure you and the rest of your home are kept safe during its removal. Here are my top 10 tips for staying safe during your toxic black mold removal.
Always wear a dust mask! This is the most essential piece of equipment available to you and one that should always be worn. Black mold primarily causes respiratory difficulties. This greatly aid in stopping any inhalation of mold spores and keep you safe throughout the removal.
Full body protective clothing should be worn. No exposed skin should be left as black mold can cause skin irritation. When the mold is airborne when removal begins it can easily land on your skin. Ideally the clothing needs to be removable in the contaminated room after clean up. Sadly you cant remove your skin so spreading it to the rest of the house if protective clothing isn’t warn is a very real possibility.
Goggles and earplugs are a piece of protective gear many people over look. Keep the most dust out of your eyes with safety goggles and prevent any mold entering the body via the ear (which provides good growing conditions) with some simple earplugs.
Evacuate family and animals out of the home before your begin clean up. This prevents any exposure to unprotected relatives.
Take regular breaks during a big black mold clean up. The build up of dust in the air coupled with unavoidable contact can cause dizziness, sweats, coughing fits and headaches. Get some fresh air during these breaks.
Keep all the mold you remove from the area in well sealed bags to ensure you don’t contaminate other rooms whilst dragging it thought the house. If possible create a safe zone where you can drop the full bags out a window to a collection point outside.
Do not take any items such as protective clothing from the area without cleaning them first. This will ensure you don’t accidentally contaminate another area.
Use air extractors and purifier’s afterword to ensure the majority of airborne mold is removed also.
Keep the area sealed off and separate using plastic sheeting and tape to avoid cross contamination.
Most importantly dry out the area well after clean up is complete. This will stop any mold secretly gaining a foothold and starting the cycle once more.