The house is considered the safest place to be but if molds are starting to invade it, you need to act fast. Molds are extremely dangerous, not only to you and your family but to your house as well. They can destroy your ceilings, walls, floors and even your entire house if not eliminated completely. Some of the symptoms of mold exposure are sneezing, coughing, teary eyes, sore throat, and skin rashes. It could also trigger asthma attacks and prolonged exposure to molds could cause severe rashes, bleeding in the lungs, dizziness and mental problems.
What are molds?
Molds live in moist and dark areas that sunlight cannot reach. The indoor molds are fungi-like organisms that are most colored dark green and black. Outdoor molds could be orange, green, blue, yellow and even white. It could be slimy or powder-like especially if the molds no longer have enough moisture to grow. Molds are known as an organisms that aid Mother Nature in decomposing dead plants and trees. But having molds in the house is not an option, especially the toxic black molds. The most common areas they thrive in are the basements, kitchens, bathrooms and attics. It also sprawls in your living room, library and in your bedroom. Remember, molds in your home is a big NO! Remove them at once and contact a professional if you think you can’t handle the mold issue in your home.
What actions need to be taken?
You need to control the moisture in your house and fix the source of the moisture, like leaking water pipelines, leaking roofs and window sills. Keep your house well ventilated by opening windows and doors especially if you live in a humid area. If that is not possible then you might want to install exhaust fans, dehumidifiers and air conditioning system.
Cleaning your house from inside out would help a lot. Dust, vacuum and clean your basement, remove unnecessary clutter because they only collect dust. Minimize the number of indoor plants in your house; they produce moisture and molds can live on the potted soil if over watered. Never install a wall to wall carpet in your bathroom, it will only collect moisture and could be a breeding place. Clean the exhaust fans and air conditioning system as well, they collect dust and could spread bacteria and mold spores in the air.
Avoid leaving dirty dishes on your kitchen sink overnight and always clean your kitchen after you use it. It should be the cleanest place in your house since it is where you prepare your meals. The bathrooms need to be clean at all times and kept as dry as possible. The exhaust fan would help to keep the steam out of the room but keeping it clean is the key. The attic could be dust free if you clean it at least twice a month and if you keep valuables there, it is wise to store them in a clean and sealed container.