There are dozens and dozens of mold inspection kits and professionals in the world to help your quest for mold detections. However, mold testing is not limited to just what you can look up on the Internet or in a phonebook. It is easy to notice that you have a problem when you know what you need to look for. Here are some signs that indicate that you may have a mold problem. The biggest thing you need to be aware of is the various manifestations of moisture in your house. Remember that black mold is a living organism that, like many other organisms in the world, requires moisture in order to survive. Keep these water levels in check either in the air, the walls, the pipes, or any other place where moisture could reside so that you may prevent black mold issues.
Where is water in your house unchecked? Do you live in a climate of high humidity?
Obtain a dehumidifier to prevent the moisture in the air from fostering fungal growth. You do not want a relative humidity level of over 55%. Do you have leaking water pipes? Pipes control where there water in your house goes so if they do not work this can be a problem. Is your roof leaking? A roof is your shelter from the elements so if it is leaking it is not the best shelter in the world and it may usher in a toxic substance instead of preventing one. Are there damp locations where there is little air ventilation, like your basement or attic? This is the perfect environment for black mold. Do you have many houseplants? The more plants you have, the more you need to water and therefore the more moisture you put into your house. Has there been a flood recently? An excessive amount of water in your house is problematic because it brings forth a wave of moisture you may have extreme difficulty in controlling.
Use your senses to help you. Does something smell musty or like mildew? You may have a mold problem. Do you have difficulty breathing? You may have a mold problem. Is the paint on your walls cracked? Is the wood warped? Are the walls discolored? You can use your vision to see that there is a dangerous amount of moisture in the domicile. The first step to getting rid of mold is controlling these levels of moisture. The next step is to seek professional help. Good luck!