Black Mold Health Risks: The Dangers of Mold

There are many kinds of mold which are more an eyesore than they are harmless, but black mold, especially the strain called strachybotrys atra, is hazardous. Exposure to it can lead to health problems, but because it shares symptoms with so many other illnesses, it’s not easy to diagnose. The only way to know is to acquaint yourself with the health dangers of black mold, so that if you notice black mold accompanied by several health symptoms, you can know that you may be looking at black mold poisoning.

black mold in bathroom

Black mold can grow and spread in a very short time, meaning that in a week or two, you can have so much of it that your health begins to be affected. It spreads through the air, and on surfaces where it was growing, can keep growing so long as the place continues to be damp.



Black mold gets into the body through the nasal cavity each time you breathe in. The spores are tiny and microscopic, so you will not see them with your naked eye. Once they get into the body, they can cause a lot of damage especially if you are high volumes of exposure or are exposed for a long time.  Kids who have been exposed to it can die, and adults will generally get ill. If you notice the following black mold symptoms, although they may be very similar to symptoms brought on by other illnesses, it’s wise to check for black mould.

  1. Irritation of the  nose: this can include sneezing, having flu like symptoms that are not accompanied by the rest of flu symptoms, thin watery mucus and a feeling that there is something foreign in your nose.
  2. Irritated cough: your body is trying to expel the spores and one way of doing this is by coughing.
  3. Difficulty in breathing: the spores will irritate your lungs so that they will accommodate less air than they usually do.
  4. Rashes: these can happen as just rashes or can look like hives.

 

These are all immediate reactions to black mold. What happens if you are exposed continuously? It causes damage to internal organs and you may suffer any of the following:

  1. Inconsistent blood pressure.
  2. Eventual problems in your reproductive system.
  3. Memory impairment and an inability to concentrate.
  4. Stomach problems and eventually, problems with the urinary tract.
  5. Irritability and mood swings.

As you can see, these are illnesses that can be caused by many other diseases. If you see black mold anywhere in your home, get rid of it right away. There are recommended ways of dealing with black mold, but make sure that whichever substance you will use to get rid of the black mold, you are well covered and protected from inhaling the spores. Get all people out of the house and once you are done, dry the area and adjacent areas completely.

If the extent of the damage is high, you might want to call in a professional mold remover so that he can permanently get rid of it. Be on the lookout especially if the weather has been very humid or if there has been flooding. The symptoms of black mold ingestion will not disappear until you have got rid of the mold, so the sooner you act the better.

Why You should remove black Mold!

Mold Removal Costs – How To Avoid Hefty Fees

Molds inside your home should not be ignored because they can actually do more damage than you think.

Most people are not even aware that they have mold colonies at home that may be causing their health problems such as frequent sneezing, nose bleeds, migraines and even ulcers. These health risks should not be taken for granted because the costs of medicines and doctor visits could be a lot higher than the actual mold removal costs.

If the mold infestation is minimal, you may actually try and remove the mold yourself. Damages on structures such as carpeted floor or the drywall may not be too obvious, so if you decide to do the mold cleaning yourself, make sure you check all places where mold may breed. Some affected areas may easily be cleaned with mold removal products. However, if the mold spores have already spread in large areas of the house, it is best to engage the services of a professional mold remover.



black mold on wall

How much do these professionals usually charge for their services?  Mold removal costs actually vary from one location to the next.  Also, the fees that professionals charge will depend on how extensive the damage is and on what type of mold is causing the problem.

On the average, expect to pay a professional mold remover to charge about $2,000 to $10,000. Some homeowners may hesitate to pay this much, but if the damage can no longer be controlled, or if family members are getting sick because of the mold, it is still smart to hire professionals to deal with the problem.

Toxic mold, if left unattended can spread to areas in the house and cause health risks. People react to mold in different ways, depending on their sensitivity levels.  Some may just exhibit the symptoms of common allergies such as sneezing, coughing, skin irritations and eye itching.  However, there are some who are extra sensitive and may experience more severe symptoms.

Mold Remediation

There are victims to mold infestation who have suffered from seizures, joint pains, black outs, swollen lymph nodes, jaundice, and even death. Those who have severe reactions usually have very weak or underdeveloped immune systems, or they may already have other autoimmune conditions.

You may cringe at the thought of spending so much money for mold removal but think of the risks that you may have to face when constantly exposing yourself and your family to mold. You may think that the practical solution is just to clean the molded area yourself, but you may end up spending more because the mold infested area is not totally cleaned. You need to be aware also, that in some states, it is illegal to do a DIY mold removal.

So mold removal costs may seem too high at first sight, but if you deal with the right professional mold removers, you may actually be saving more dollars from not having to spend for medical costs caused by mold infestation. You can also check if your home insurance company will cover some of the fees associated with home mold removal. Once you find you can breathe easier and you no longer experience the symptoms mentioned above, you will most likely say that spending the money for mold removal is a smart thing to do.

Fight Against Molds

The house is considered the safest place to be but if molds are starting to invade it, you need to act fast. Molds are extremely dangerous, not only to you and your family but to your house as well. They can destroy your ceilings, walls, floors and even your entire house if not eliminated completely. Some of the symptoms of mold exposure are sneezing, coughing, teary eyes, sore throat, and skin rashes. It could also trigger asthma attacks and prolonged exposure to molds could cause severe rashes, bleeding in the lungs, dizziness and mental problems.

What are molds?

Molds live in moist and dark areas that sunlight cannot reach. The indoor molds are fungi-like organisms that are most colored dark green and black. Outdoor molds could be orange, green, blue, yellow and even white. It could be slimy or powder-like especially if the molds no longer have enough moisture to grow. Molds are known as an organisms that aid Mother Nature in decomposing dead plants and trees. But having molds in the house is not an option, especially the toxic black molds. The most common areas they thrive in are the basements, kitchens, bathrooms and attics. It also sprawls in your living room, library and in your bedroom. Remember, molds in your home is a big NO! Remove them at once and contact a professional if you think you can’t handle the mold issue in your home.

mold on ceiling
mouldy ceiling

What actions need to be taken?

You need to control the moisture in your house and fix the source of the moisture, like leaking water pipelines, leaking roofs and window sills. Keep your house well ventilated by opening windows and doors especially if you live in a humid area. If that is not possible then you might want to install exhaust fans, dehumidifiers and air conditioning system.

mold
Plumbing problems

Cleaning your house from inside out would help a lot. Dust, vacuum and clean your basement, remove unnecessary clutter because they only collect dust. Minimize the number of indoor plants in your house; they produce moisture and molds can live on the potted soil if over watered. Never install a wall to wall carpet in your bathroom, it will only collect moisture and could be a breeding place. Clean the exhaust fans and air conditioning system as well, they collect dust and could spread bacteria and mold spores in the air.

Avoid leaving dirty dishes on your kitchen sink overnight and always clean your kitchen after you use it. It should be the cleanest place in your house since it is where you prepare your meals. The bathrooms need to be clean at all times and kept as dry as possible. The exhaust fan would help to keep the steam out of the room but keeping it clean is the key. The attic could be dust free if you clean it at least twice a month and if you keep valuables there, it is wise to store them in a clean and sealed container.